
I love watching my baby niece. Every day that I spend with her, I understand more about the power of love. There are so many times I look at her observing the world around her and my eyes fill with tears. Tears for the joy of her life, tears for the immense love I feel for her, tears for her innocence. The same innocence we’ve all shared when we were babies relying on our parents for our every need. The delicacy of our lives depends so much on what our parents do, or don’t do.
I watch her in her swing. She is fixated on the green turtle attached to a mobile that hangs over her head. And she watches for such a long time; so fascinated by the colors, the movement. Here she lay, swinging to a sweet, soothing sound; smiling occasionally at the green turtle dancing overhead. Her life will take shape by the hands of the parents and adults around her. She will one day have her own path, her own life, thoughts, ambitions. But for now, we help to create who she is to become. There is something so powerful and noble about it all. My perspective is changed and I have a greater understanding and respect for parents everywhere.
She has taught me a different kind of love.
No comments:
Post a Comment