Friday, August 27, 2010
Hold Me Tight
I am midway through the book, "Hold Me Tight" by Dr. Sue Johnson. It isn't a book that would normally catch my attention but it was recommended and really relevant to what I have been going through. After page 98, I realize just how much I needed this and I'm reminded again, that it all happens for a reason. We are given gifts at just the right time. In the first few chapters it identifies the "dance" that couples sometimes go through when one or the other feels a loss of emotional connection or intimacy with their partner. It talks about how the couple can identify the problem as it arises and realize in the moment that basically, they are nitpicking about symptoms when the real problem is that they just need to reconnect, reassure and express their love and presence. This is something that is very common but half the battle is knowing and realizing when this occurs and not creating a space for your partner to become the bad guy when what you really need is just a touch, a kiss, a hug, a word of affirmation or someone to just hold you for a while, make you feel secure. I have learned the most important element in the relationship equation is emotional security. Without a solid foundation of emotional security in a relationship, the house will eventually fall.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment