Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

“Without a pot to piss in”

During the 1500s, people did not have indoor plumbing. It was common to use a chamber pot as an indoor toilet. The chamber pot could then be dumped out a window into the street gutter below. However, it’s been said that poor families would urinate in a pot and at the end of the day this urine would be sold at the local tannery to tan animal hides. Some families were so poor that they "didn't have a pot to piss in". Thus, the term.

Tonight while I was winding down from my weekend and reflecting, I realized I finally have everything I need, and even things I want. There was a time where I felt ridiculously poor while I lived a bohemian life and held onto not much more than hope, a few dreams and possibility. I could indeed say that I didn't have "a pot to piss in". But I realized tonight as I was enjoying my apartment, the stress of trying to find the basic, daily needs are gone.  My apartment is coming together bit by bit and my life feels as though it is, too. I can’t help but remember the harder times when I struggled so much for just simple things; and I don’t want to find myself taking any of it for granted now. If I can help it, I don’t ever want to go through that kind of self-deprivation for any lengthy period of time, or for any amount of wishful thinking. I have learned so much how impactful our descisions can be and how important it is to follow our heart and let go all fears which prevent us from living our fullest life. Sometimes, you just have to change your scenery in order to change your course.

No comments: