Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

A little soul retrieval in the darnedest places...


I thought I was so ready for the weekend, until it got here. I am thankful for the mornings when I can “sleep in” (I woke up at 7 AM, couldn’t go back to sleep for the life of me!) But then what do I do with the rest of Saturday and Sunday? In the short time that I have been here, I find myself asking that question a lot. What to do, where to go, with whom. The truth is, the idea of doing something alone is lackluster. So I find myself doing mundane things when I'd rather be out exploring. Clean apartment, walk Pickles, eat lunch, rinse and repeat.  The funk needs to end soon.
And I do realize it’s all up to me. What it's going to take to give me an inspirational jolt, I haven't yet discovered.

I spent three days in Oklahoma this past week for a business trip. Having grown up in Texas, I find this kind of “research” to be kind of tedious. Nothing in the way of this lifestyle and mindset has changed much since I wore cowboy boots in the 8th grade (Yes, I admit it). Although I will say, denim has changed a bit.

These people are good folks. They love their family, they love Jesus, their horses and livestock, they love honesty, integrity, shaking hands, simplicity, home. When I go to these events and wear the required uniform (i.e. Jeans, Boots) I reconnect with that 14-year-old girl I once was, wearing my red Justin boots, Rockies and feeding 'Big Red', the unbroken horse that kicked me, knocked me down, left a bruise on my right butt cheek and my ego hurt for weeks. The familiarity of this life is something that eludes me but at the same time I feel a sense of comfort in it all. Perhaps this is a part of my life that I need to remember. It was an innocent time for me, one of very simple and humble times and a time where the world was a big white canvas just waiting for me to paint whatever future I wanted.  In many ways, a lot of the people I meet remind me how far I have come in my life. The road behind me is very long and foggy.  This experience was a reminder that I have done pretty good thus far and I am comforted. So while I am doing a good service to the company, I am also taking notes of my own personal journey.

No comments: